You should probably feel sorry for me....(JK...sort of)


I've been so MIA - this summer has given me one swift kick in the you-know-what, I've been so busy! The good news is, I lost 5 pounds without even trying (but that was before I made 2 dozen pumpkin chocolate chip cookies last week, so that may not be true anymore....)

Anyway we've had lots of great visitors, and still have more visitors heading their way to us this weekend. It's turned our lives upside down - for the better....but still way way upside down. So here's what's been going on:

Natalie is on the move. I.E. she crawls everywhere. She crawls fast, she's constantly busy, constantly moving OH!...and she basically sounds like she's being murdered any time I leave her alone in a room. This makes going to the bathroom, showering, or getting a glass of water extra fun...*sarcasm*......

Demolition has started on our new house and the renovation/addition is underway (Did I ever even really talk about this??!!) I'll explain all this in more detail later on. But this means I have to spend time picking out things like windows, fireplaces, tile, faucets, lights, doors, door handles, flooring, kitchen, etc. etc. etc. Basically every single thing that goes into a house....It's exciting, but daunting and the little pieces of my day that used to go to blogging, reading, showering, eating, general living, is now going to house stuff.


As you know I take a LOT of pictures. a LOT. Mostly on my phone, but oftentimes with my really good canon dslr camera. I had been really good about backing up my photos to both my computer and an external hard drive every 3 weeks for the past year. Well, I slacked off this summer. With vacation, visitors, craziness, I hadn't backed up my pictures since the end of June. So yesterday I took an hour to really organize, and take all the photos from my phone and camera and do a backup. I had 5 videos left on my phone to move over to my hard drive before doing a full system back-up. All of a sudden Natalie, who was sitting very contently in my lap, moved her feet, got them tangled in the wire and caused the hard drive to drop on our tile floor. I really didn't think anything of it at first, but then I plugged it in and it didn't work. As I type this, Chris is trying very hard to recover the data, and has already asked our IT friend to take a look at it this weekend - but I think the photos are gone. Everything I've taken with my good camera this summer: Natalie's Baptism, two baby showers, the wedding we were at this past weekend, and house demolition progress is gone. Just. Gone. Cue tears, mental breakdown, panic attack, pretty much full-throttle meltdown for the past 3 hours - total hormonal teenager style type of thing....it's been a night.

Sooooo that's been great. In other news: I did a guest post for I Guess I'm Due last week! Here's the link where I talk about what I'll do differently the Next Time Around.

I think I will be taking the rest of the month off from blogging. I need a few weeks where the blog isn't hanging over my head, making me feel guilty every night when I don't have a post ready. I will hopefully be back at it again after Labor Day. I still have to do an 8 month update, that is, if I can recover the photos...sigh...

Enjoy the rest of your summer, and if you've learned anything here today: Always back-up your photos!

Comments

  1. You have been on the go all summer. And the house renovations are emotional and daunting. You need a vacation from vacation! I will look for my pics that you sent. I know they are not as good as the ones on your good cameral but at least you'll have some. Take a break from the blog, re-group and come back when you're good and ready. I wish I could just pop over and babysit that Little Wiggle Worm for a few hours for you. Just remind yourself "This too shall pass."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!! You do certainly sound busy and I look forward to learning more about the house remodel (though no rush!!). I hope and pray the photos can magically be recovered. Totally understand the breakdown and I hope you enjoy your few week blog-break. Those can be really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica - not looking very hopeful about the picture thing - but between pictures I've emailed and texted to family and friends, plus what I can pull from my blog (thank goodness for my blog!) I don't know if it's initially as huge a loss as I felt it was. Still a loss....and I'm still pretty bent out of shape over it, but not the end of the world as I initially thought.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I hope you can find a way to recover your pictures! I have everything on my phone backed up online, but I do nothing with the computer (which has all of the good pictures). I need to be better. I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's look bleak to get them back, but after recovering a lot of pics from emails, texts, and phone today - it's not as huge a loss as I anticipated - still a big loss, but manageable and something I can get over...


      eventually...lol

      Delete
  4. Ugh I feel so bad about your pictures, that's one of my nightmares. Whenever I upload photos to my computer I also immediately upload them to Shutterfly so that they are saved online. Now I just have to pray that Shutterfly never disappears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's look bleak to get them back, but after recovering a lot of pics from emails, texts, and phone today - it's not as huge a loss as I anticipated - still a big loss, but manageable and something I can get over...

      I know that's the problem with online stuff - one day these sites are just gonna go obsolete and then what?? I knew this was going to happen to be one day. I take too many pictures and go back and forth with my camera too much - it was bound to happen. It was a wakeup call though. i'm going to be more careful for sure.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, that sucks about the photos, Laura. I really hope you can get them back and that the rest of the month goes smoothly for you in terms of the house stuff and everything you have going on. I'm heading over to check out your guest post now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's look bleak to get them back, but after recovering a lot of pics from emails, texts, and phone today - it's not as huge a loss as I anticipated - still a big loss, but manageable and something I can get over...


      eventually, lol

      Delete
  6. Ugh! Losing pictures is pretty much one of my worst nightmares. But, I have faith the IT can try to do something.

    Good luck on the house! I can't wait to read about it. I know what you mean about trying to keep up with the blog. It's hard when real life is consuming. I look fwd to seeing pics on Instagram instead lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me some lovin' and thanks for stopping by!

You may also like: